The Echo Dot just got sassier with its new Kids Edition. It is a smart speaker designed exclusively for kids. It can tell stories, play music and help kids with their lessons. The Echo Dot Kids speaker has all the resources of Alexa and more. Your kid can learn a lot through its interactive apps. It has a huge library of educational content ranging from literature to math to science. It has audio books for kids, games, and many skills from Disney, Nickelodeon, National Geographic, etc.
The Kids Edition speaker has parental controls. You can track your child’s activity and set a cap on the daily use. The device also automatically removes explicit media from apps like Amazon Music, Apple Music and other music apps.
Let Us Take A Closer Look At The Echo Dot Kids Speaker :
Technology And Performance :
The Echo Dot Kids Edition is the first kid-specific smart speaker. It has a ton of fun and informative skills developed with kids in mind. It is designed to be your kid’s study buddy, guide, storyteller, DJ and comedian. The Kids speaker has something called FreeTime on Alexa. It is an Alexa experience just for kids. It is available on other Echo devices too like the Echo, Echo Plus and Echo Dot. FreeTime on Alexa offers age-appropriate content. It tells stories and jokes keeping in mind the young demographic. It answers you kid’s questions in a way that they can easily understand. It also shields your child from disturbing content on the internet. Parents can keep a tab on their ward’s use of the Kids speaker through the Amazon Parent Dashboard. It tracks the skills the child has used, the duration of use and other details. As a parent, you can set a threshold on the daily usage of the device. You can fix the bedtime hour and review your kid’s activity on the speaker. You can also turn off voice shopping so your child doesn’t shop things online without your knowledge. The Kids Edition speaker comes with a one-year free subscription of FreeTime on Alexa. It has plenty of kid-oriented content like fairy tales and quizzes. It also has a large library of 1000 audio books for kids on Audible. The speaker brings eternal Disney characters to life and makes bedtime story-telling more fun. From Peter Pan to Beauty and the Beast, it has all the evergreen fairy tales and cartoons from Disney, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, among others. There are quizzes from nature and animal channels like National Geographic. Plus thousands of songs from ad-free radio stations and music apps like Radio Disney, iHeartRadio Family, Nick Radio and Kids Hits. Alexa also appreciates your kid when they use polite language and ask intelligent questions. The Kids speaker can be used to relay information to your kids in their rooms. Drop In can be used as a 2-way intercom with your kids while Announcements can be used as a one-way intercom to household appliances. Like “Alexa, call Emily’s room” or “Alexa, announce that dinner is ready.” Apart from these functions, the Kids Edition speaker can control compatible smart home gadgets. It supports all Fire OS, iOS and Android gadgets. The speaker has dual-band Wi-Fi that supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. It is not compatible with ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
Product Design :
The Kids speaker comes with a kid-friendly protective cover. It has the same puck-like shape as an Echo Dot 2nd Gen speaker. The top panel has 4 buttons for volume, mic mute and activation. The mic mute button is for when you don’t want Alexa to hear what you are saying. The activation button is to activate the system if it fails to start up. The speaker has an array of 7 microphones. They take in your voice from all directions. A gleaming light rings circles the speaker on top. The rear section of the gadget has a USB charging port and a 3.5mm AUX output port. Like the other Echo speakers, the Kids Edition speaker can be connected to sound devices like speakers and headphones. You can either use Bluetooth or connect the device through the AUX port. The product has a diameter of 3.5 inches and a height of 1.5 inches. It weighs 6.7 oz and comes with a 2-year worry-free guarantee. If you break it, Amazon will replace it for free. The box includes the smart speaker, a 9W power adapter, a micro USB cable and a user manual.
Difference Between Echo Dot Kids Edition And Echo Dot 3rd Gen :
- The Kids Edition speaker offers kid-specific content. The Echo Dot 3rd Gen does not. The Kids speaker comes with a one-year free subscription of FreeTime on Alexa, whereas if you want the same on the Echo Dot, you will have to purchase it separately.
- The Kids speaker has parental controls, voice shopping turn-off and automatic screening of explicit content from Spotify, Apple Music and similar platforms. On the Echo Dot, you can perform these activities only if you have FreeTime on Alexa enabled.
- The Kids speaker has a protective covering to safeguard the device from falls, knocks and scratches. The Echo Dot 3rd Gen has a fabric cover.
- The Kids speaker has a one-year free subscription of 1000+ Audible books. The Echo Dot 3rd Gen does not. You need to purchase it separately.
- The Kids speaker has a one-year free subscription of kid skills from Disney, ad-free kids music and radio stations, and kid-friendly alarm clock features. The Echo Dot does not have these features.
We have come to the end of our review. Let us quickly summarize the top features of the Kids Edition speaker.
Key Features :
- Kid-oriented smart speaker by Amazon.
- One-year free subscription of FreeTime on Alexa.
- Bluetooth, AUX output, 7 microphone, supports 2-way intercom.
- Age-appropriate content, Parental Control, automatically removes explicit content from music apps.
- One-year worry-free warranty.
Find the best speaker for echo dot – comprehensive list and most recommended products here.